An audio version of this talk is at my podcast Dante’s Divine Comedy, available via podcast feeds.
Reason fails before the greatest spiritual truths. That much is not news. But part of the genius of Dante is his conjuring of images that reach beyond the impasses of paradox and seeming contradiction.
I consider 8 such moments when Dante sees the unsayable and offers images of the ineffable.
– how darkness leads to light
– how appearances can be the opposite of the truth
– how the immediate eclipses wider perspectives
– how all faces are the divine face
– how “I” and “we” coincide
– how divine and creature are one
– how consciousness expands
– how relationship is unity, many is one, movement is the unchangable.
For more on my book Dante’s Divine Comedy: A Guide for the Spiritual Journey see http://www.markvernon.com/dantes-divine-comedy