THE BIG QUESTIONS: GOD
Religion’s 20 biggest questions answered in accessible and thought-provoking mini-essays.
1. Can reason prove the existence of God?
2. Will science bring the end of religion?
3. Why do people still have religious beliefs?
4. Is religion a mistake of evolution?
5. Can drugs induce religious experiences?
6. Can you be spiritual without being religious?
7. Have you seen a miracle?
8. What is the literal meaning of Scripture?
9. If you’re not religious, is nothing sacred?
10. Can an agnostic pray?
11. Is religion inherently violent?
12. What is it like to be a fundamentalist?
13. What is Buddhist enlightenment?
14. Is Confucianism a religion?
15. Is nature divine?
16. Is there a perennial philosophy?
17. Does human suffering rule out God?
18. Can we be good without God?
19. Are we living in the end times?
20. Is there life after death?
The Big Questions series is designed to let renowned experts address the 20 most fundamental and frequently asked questions of a major branch of science and philosophy. Each 3000 word essay simply and concisely examines a question that has eternally perplexed enquiring minds and provides answers on the latest research.
'He is, quite simply, one of the few writers in England today who really understands the impulse to religious belief and how a faithless age can respond. There are few others I trust to bring such intelligence and sympathy to these issues.'
Madeleine Bunting, The Guardian